Search & Book
Historical District of Salzburg
Sights & Highlights in Salzburg City
Just a few kilometers north of Hallein / Bad Dürrnberg is Salzburg, the famed "City of Mozart". Whether you prefer to get a bit of exercise riding your bicycle, pedaling along using an e-bike, riding the bus, train or driving a car - you are always just a short journey away from the historical district of Salzburg. Once there, set out on a cultural adventure involving Mozart, The Sound of Music and the world-famous Salzburg Festival. The many museums and sightseeing attractions offer a wealth of opportunities, which means that, whether for families, culture and art lovers, or for shopping fans, Salzburg always has something perfect in store. Our tip: Book one of the guided walking tours of the city or a coach tour and learn even more about the many highlights Salzburg has to offer.
Sights in Salzburg
Immerse yourself in the history of Salzburg:
- "Fortress Hohensalzburg" is Europe's biggest fully preserved medieval fortification. Enjoy the unforgettable views out across the city and surrounding mountainous countryside once ruled over by the prince archbishops.
- At the "Residenz zu Salzburg", take a walking tour of the state rooms that span over 200 years of taste and style.
- Mozart's birthplace and residence: His birthplace at No. 9 Getreidegasse and his subsequent home on Markartplatz square provide fascinating insights into the life of this musical genius.
- Salzburg Museum is housed in the splendidly restored Neue Residenz on Mozartplatz square.
- Salzburg Cathedral is undoubtedly the most famous piece of sacred architecture in Salzburg City. But also many other churches & cemeteries are almost always open to the general public.
- The "Museum der Moderne" consists of two buildings at two spectacular sites: the Rupertinum in the heart of the Old City, and the museum on the Mönchsberg. Classical, modern and contemporary art are the main areas of emphasis of their collections.
- At Stiegl's Brauwelt, you can well and truly immerse yourself in the world of beer, including a brewery designed to give the public better insights into the details of how beer is actually brewed.
Highlights for the whole family
The following museums and sightseeing attractions are particularly well-suited for families - as they are for all other Salzburg holidaymakers.
- The "Haus der Natur" is a museum of nature and technology. With over 40 aquariums, over 56 terrariums and excitingly presented themes such as Man, Space, Dinosaurs, Lifeline Salzach etc., this institution appeals to adults and children alike. In the Science Center, young and old can set out on a journey of discovery together.
- In the Toy Museum, visitors have the opportunity to experiment, design and discover. A giant marmot course, the toy race track, cinema and creativity zone make a visit for the whole family a truly special experience.
- At Salzburg Zoo, you can marvel at and observe numerous native and exotic animal species in a near-natural habitat.
With the Salzburg Card, you enjoy one-time FREE admission to many different sightseeing attractions. In addition, it gives you discounts on walking tours and entrance to various excursion destinations in the region. The Salzburg Card can also be purchased in our office. Here you will find further information about sights and attractions that are either free or discounted.
Tip: Take advantage of the Tennengau Ticket or Park & Ride
With the Tennengau Ticket, you can travel comfortably and inexpensively. For just 2 Euro (0.50 cents for children) one-way, you can ride all the way to the historical district of Salzburg. If you would prefer to give your car a bit of a break during your holiday as well, we suggest using local opportunities for Park & Ride.